Applications will be accepted for this position until 26 March 2023.
We will contact the successful candidate by 9 April 2023.
We may contact shortlisted candidates for references prior to the deadline, however any candidate who applies before 26 March 2023 will be considered equally.
Tubby Tabby Soaps aims to hire one (1) person on a part-time, as-needed basis (about 2 hours per week). We hope that this person can perform some straightforward but essential tasks that will free up time for the owners of the business. This will allow us more time to grow the business strategically. While this position is as-needed and part-time all year long, there is the potential opportunity for a few more hours around busy seasons, especially leading up to the winter holidays.
Please note that only those who are selected for further consideration will be contacted. However, in case similar opportunities arise in the future, we will keep your application on file unless instructed otherwise.
The Delivery Driver will stock Tubby Tabby Soaps products in our various brick-and-mortar locations in greater Ottawa. This involves driving to our home studio to pick up the merchandise, bringing it to one of 3 mall locations and barcoding the items. The items will then be left with the store staff to store in the stock room.
If the successful candidate wishes to gain additional shifts, they may also be offered the opportunity to run additional errands for Tubby Tabby Soaps. This will always be discussed with the individual in advance.
Shifts will need to be completed during the opening hours of the target location (for example, if the store you’re stocking is open 9am-9pm, your shift needs to happen during that window). Aside from this constraint, the schedule is flexible. The Delivery Driver will be asked to stock one location per week, which will typically take about 2 hours. During busy seasons, especially between October and December, the Delivery Driver may be able to pick up extra shifts every week if they so desire.
The successful candidate will receive a starting wage of $20/hour, for an average compensation of $40/week during the slow season and up to $120/week during busy seasons.
The mandatory qualifications required for the position are outlined below. Please note that you will need to be able to demonstrate each of these qualifications in your application or you will not be considered for the position. Thank you for your understanding!
We do not require a minimum level of education or work experience for this position. More important to us is that you can demonstrate that you are a good fit with our business, and that you can do the core tasks of this position.
- Strong spoken English. Alternatively, candidates may have a basic level of spoken English if they are fluent in French.
- Intermediate reading level in English.
- A valid driver’s licence.
- Reliable access to a car.
- Ability to work in-person in the greater Ottawa area.
- Ability to manage your own time and complete tasks at a consistent pace.
- Ability to read printouts and match them to physical products.
- Ability to keep track of and count products (normally up to 24 at a time per product). During busy seasons, you may handle up to 20 different products/SKUs during a shift.
- Ability to navigate around Ottawa to several regular locations in a car, using GPS, if desired. (Typically shifts will involve navigating to 2 locations at most.)
- Problem-solving skills are an asset.
- A commitment to kindness. This is crucial, as most of the people you will interact with will be service staff. Our expectation is that you treat them with respect at all times.
- Honesty and transparency. Please remember that this is our tiny business and we need to know if there is ever a problem or new situation that arises. If you’re having trouble with something, we want the opportunity to help resolve the issue.
- An affinity for small businesses (ie. you feel supportive of small, local businesses like ours) is considered a substantial asset.
- Lift boxes containing up to 20 pounds each.
- Stand for 5-10 minutes at a time.
- Walk up to 1km during a shift, typically less than 500m at a time.
- Manoeuvre through stores where there may be delicate products on either side of you (aisles are typically about 3’/1m wide).
- Remove labels from rolls and apply them to a specific (small) area of product packages.
- Drive for up to 30 minutes at a time without a break.
Tubby Tabby Soaps recognizes that diversity is strength, and that some groups of people have experienced a long history of systemic oppression. Because we know this has an impact on many individuals up to and including today, we are supporters of equity in hiring. It is always a personal choice whether or not to disclose our varied and complex identities, and we do not require any applicant to do so. However, if you are a member of a marginalized group, self-identifying may allow us to build a more inclusive, safer business if your application is considered for this position. We thank all applicants for taking the time to apply!
How to apply
In order to apply for this position, please do one of the following:
- Submit this application form.
- Send your résumé to email@example.com with subject line “Delivery Driver”.
- Send a 1-2 page cover letter/letter of intent that outlines how you meet the requested qualifications (see section above) to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Delivery Driver”.
If we would like to consider you further for the position, we may contact you for personal and/or professional references.
Please note that while we will accept any of the submissions listed above, the more detail you provide about your qualifications, the better we will be able to know whether or not you’re a good fit for the job.